11/5/17 Minutes

SC Meeting 11/5

 

On Lunt Cafe

  • We know very little
  • It is no longer in our hands
  • Working to make sure that people who worked at Lunt have a new job as a source of income
  • Thinking about bringing food trucks during the weekends
  • We are going to implement a better management system
  • Workers would be getting compensated
  • Victoria: it would be more ideal to get them different jobs rather than just get compensated..it would be unfair to other workers if one just got compensated and didn’t have to do the work
  • Simon: Run like welfare? Get them compensated but then help them get different jobs
  • first -year rep: what about extending DC hours and employ the Lunt workers?
  • Co-treasurer: have something like midnight breakfast?
  • Julia: We wouldn’t feel comfortable just paying them?
  • Walter: people also pick up more shifts aside from their regular schedule; it should be more about finding them jobs they can work
  • Victoria: Give them a compensation period? We still need to solve the problem of not having food at night
  • Most jobs don’t hire until next semester
  • Saif: what about opening the MCC? VCAM?
  • We still cannot talk about what happened
  • Saif: we can’t let in to hearsay
  • YanCheng: can we know what happened?
  • Saumya: we should focus on finding jobs for the people working because the people who needed to be dealt with already have been dealt with
  • Walt: We have so little time between now and the end of the semester
  • Saif: We can still have other campus clubs cook for us?
  • So many people rely on Lunt as a source of dinner
  • YanCheng: It would really only matter after 10:30 and weekends (whenever  the coop is closed), so maybe we can have a specific time
  • The coop is more expensive
  • Saif: what about reaching out to different groups and ask: do you want to make food on tuesdays? Samosas for $1, sushi for $1
  • Leslie: Affinity groups will not do it, you could propose it, but people wouldn’t do it. We wouldn’t be willing to cook for random people to buy if we have trouble getting people within the affinity group to cook
  • Victoria: It would be a great idea, but it shouldn’t be up to the affinity groups; it seems weird to put more responsibilities on affinity groups; it takes a lot of coordination
  • Walt: We could use Lunt money funds to pay for food trucks
  • Julia: to refocus, how are we going to pay people who no longer have their job?
  • Walt: What is the issue with full compensation? Is it fair that we make them look for a new job?
  • Victoria: If we cannot get them another job then we should compensate them
  • Walt: it will be really difficult to coordinate an alternative
  • Saif: It’s unfair to ask them to acquire a new set of skills
  • Victoria: We should still give people the option to have a new job
  • Saif: We shouldn’t rely on the coop, they have already extended the hours.
  • Victoria: Where are we getting the money for the food trucks?
  • Saumya: it seems as though the food trucks will be the most viable solution at this point, we won’t have enough money to subsidise the food trucks during the weeks
  • Saif: What about buying pre-made food during the week (ex: ramen noodle) and selling it for fifty cents or so?
  • What is the framework we are working with?
  • Saumya: in summary, it seems like for the weekends, food trucks using the money from Lunt Cafe and maybe during the weekdays, buying pre-made food to sell at a subsidize price
  • What about doing it in the VCAM?

 

The on-campus storage issue on Campus

    • Storing things on campus is a mess
    • safety
      • We have mold, mice, biohazards
      • Fire hazard when stuff is down there over the summer
    • Waste
      • People leave their stuff there and never come back to get it
    • Its going to cost the college so much money to get things out and clean up the storage area

 

  • Solutions

 

  • Storage will be taken away and taken to an off-campus site
    • There would be accommodations for international students, student-abroad students, and low-income students
  • Potentially setting up a donation/borrow system where people can drop off kitchen utensils who live in north dorms and allowing people from the apartments to borrow them
  • Simon: to clarify, there is no system to regulate who puts things where
  • Saumya: there are guidelines, but really who follows them? People abuse this system. Martha will send out an email and will set up a deadline for people to move out their items
  • They will implement this starting this summer
  • Saif: Apartment 30 is a great set-up; Apartment 11 has things that are valuable from people who already graduated such as bikes, books, can we sell them?
  • Rachel: We don’t need to sell anything, it goes back to the borrow system
  • Victoria: accommodations for international students, are we getting a basement/physical space on campus? She is concerned with the end of the school year where one has to worry about finals and then get things stored. We need to make official “packing days” or else its going to be chaos.
  • Saif: pro-working graduation ceremony
  • Rachel: do you mean institutionalizing “move-out” day?
  • Victoria: the goal is to make it a day of “awareness” to get people thinking about starting to move out
  • Rachel: Having a day to get people talking about moving out would be great to exempt seniors from just getting drunk and leaving their stuff
  • Simon: these sorts of dynamics are always going to be an issue because people will be studying/wanting to study
  • Jake: If we are doing things in the middle of finals, people will not participate
  • Rachel: it seems like the conversation has shifted to people feeling stressed about packing at the end of the semester
  • Saumya: these trucks can come by whenever
  • Victoria: I know there is a move-out day, but we are atleast giving people a day
  • Rachel: the idea is having a day where different resources come and help people move out
  • Joey: What about paying other people to help store people properly?
  • Julia: People just put things in the apartment because they don’t know what to do with it
  • The point it, storage is no longer going to be an option
  • Saumya: Do we want more student spaces, DC basement, should be the discussions we should be having at this point because the decision is FINAL
  • Even if we tell people to get their stuff out, they won’t right now
  • The amount of money we spend cleaning would cover the costs of creating thees new spaces
  • Victoria: 9-2 one day, you pay people to put their stuff in donation spaces, you would save so much money to clean these spaces
  • Rachel: There has been discussions, but its hard because we are asking students to help other students during finals
  • Saumya: I tried something like this last year, but people didn’t really put their stuff out
  • Rachel: Using basement for club team locker rooms, spaces? Club athletes should have their own spaces

 

Walt’s meeting

  • The proposal was restructured
  • The angle they thought would be best is to instead of trying to do something where we put money into the student-sanctioned jobs, it would create a lot of issues for HR to adjust wages for the week, opt out system would be inefficient
  • Getting used to workday, it would create an extra hassle for them
  • Basically, put money into the LIFTAR program to alleviate issues related to working during winter break
  • You can apply for it and you would cite why you would need the additional funds during the week
  • There is a legal worry about paying students a different wage for doing the same work; admin is worried about it
  • Next step, working with dean denney to work on the logistics, it would be less expensive because it would be more targeted
  • It’s a council initiative and perfectly fine for a pilot program
  • Saumya: I don’t think this is something we can allocate as council, it would need to go through SC
  • Dean denney would be happy to do this as a pilot program, it can still be a resolution if it were to become a yearly thing
  • Saif: If we want to do things every year, it shouldn’t come from students activities, but rather from the college itself
  • You are applying for this specific branch of the program for this specific time frame/project
  • It would be a specific grievance and how winter finals week is causing issues for you
  • It would be a way to bring visibility
  • Simon: if money is left over, where would it go?
  • Leslie: You have a certain grievance, what would the “label” be?
  • Walter: from how Martha xplained it, I am missing a shift, and I am missing this amount of money and it’s going towards food.
  • This is not a proposal yet
  • Joey: is the issue on opportunity cost?
  • Saif: the issue is that people are working during the time that they should be studying
  • Julia: its actually both
  • Leslie: Textbooks and travel are exemptions to LIFTAR funds, it supplies unordinary circumstances such as buying a jacket, photo supplies
  • Leslie: they are hiding it basically, so we don’t know how its being used or how many people are using it.
  • They are trying to keep it below $300
  • Joey: how is this going to cover the issue? What are they going to cover exactly?

 

Appointments:

We will have a ton of important, popular appointments on schedule for next week

 

On the agenda for next week: Website